Charlie says... These are our product of the year. Never before in the field of muddy fields has so much been achieved with so little.
The black and white ones are the stiffer 2.1 version. All the others are the lighter (by 6g) 2.0 lite version.
The Bender Fender 2.1 is our latest fender reincarnation. It has the same profile as the 2.0 - just slightly thicker (0.3mm to be precise). You could consider it a 'heavy duty' 2.0 but at 22g it's not exactly hefty.
The only reason for going thicker is to improve durability so it's better at tackling a fall or those pesky pine cones when they get pulled through by the wheel. So if you prefer the downhill and wooded trail this is the one for you.
For anything else or you're a bit of a weight weenie stick with the 2.0 and save 6g.
Here's a reminder of the Bender Fender's plus points: -
- It stops any muck, horse, cow and dog s*** from being flung into your face.
- It is fitted as close as possible to the knobbly bits for optimum 'muck' catching.
- It protects your fork stanchions and brace from getting caked, reducing the need for cleaning and servicing.
- Discretion is its middle name. It's small but effective. Don't just take our word for it! There's loads of positive chit chat on the forums and in the online mags.
- It's the lightest mudguard available!!
- Uses hook and loop straps to attach to the brace and stanchions, so it's easy to fit and take off.
- It's compatible with all forward and double sus brace designs.
- It can be used as a rear shock guard on some full sus arrangements.
- When off, it's easy to clean as it's flexible and opens flat. Simply wipe it and you're done!!
My friends are laughing at me for having a fender on my bike, but it just works..
and it''s really nice not to have to clean out the stupid gap in the brace after each ride (which every suspension-fork manufacturer puts on the wrong freaking side!!)..
Proof that sometimes the simple ideas are the best - whilst they'll never be as good as 'full' mudguards, the Bender Fenders do a mighty fine job of keeping the worst of the muck at bay, and fitted to a fork crown will also stop all mud etc. from clogging up your steerer tube and headset.
It's also worth pointing out that the 2.1 version is big enough to fit on a Pugsley (even the Black-Ops version with the Moonlander fork) and stop you from getting too muddy.
Two thumbs up!
Mark Worthington - Milton Keynes
Something so simple that works so well! Does what it says in the description, but to highlight something, it also protect the rather exposed headset bottom bearing.
Quick review on the bender fender bought from Charlie a week ago - top bit of kit for less than a tenner!
This little bit of plastic does a fantastic job of keeping the mud off your mush and stanchions - previously been using an old bit of inner tube between the top of the stanchions and the crown but the bender fender does a MUCH better job! Stops the seals on your forks getting caked in muck and eliminates the 'flick back' of muck, mud and water on your face when whizzing down a trail at speed.
A bit fiddle to fit but once its in place it stays there, no matter how dirty you get!
Sure, you could make one of there from some plastic but why would you?????? That is valuable riding time you are wasting. . . . .
Oh, and Charlie - love the sticker - please feel free to send as many more as you want! ;-)